When problems are encountered with teenagers or children, asking them ‘what’s wrong’ rarely results in a straightforward answer. The best you can sometimes expect is ‘I dunno’ and a shrug of the shoulders. Frequently, adolescents really don’t know what is wrong, or perhaps it’s simply that they don’t know how to express what is wrong?
- lack of confidence/performance anxieties
- concerns about changes in their bodies
- problems in school, with studies, teachers or peers
- phobias, i.e. fear of the dark,
- going to sleep,
- needles, etc.
- embarrassment of habits like bed-wetting or thumb sucking
- a new baby or
- parental relationship problems.
Some of the signs indicating anxiety could be:
- consistent health or food control problems
- lying or stealing,
- drugs or alcohol
- trouble sleeping,
- frequent nightmares or
- sleep walking.
Children can respond particularly well to Hypnosis as long as they are happy to work with me to change and as long as they perceive there is a problem which they wish to have solved.
Relaxation and breathing exercises can help reduce anxiety or stress and a corresponding increase in self-esteem.
I usually work with children aged 10 years and over. I would strongly suggest an Initial Consultation with parents first, to discuss a child’s issues, as it’s important that you understand how change comes about.